What's the best thing to eat when you're super sleep-deprived and all you want to do is reach for the biscuit tin?
Oat and Almond Loaf Cake
This super easy and quick cake is perfect for knocking out during the week or for a weekend lunch or afternoon tea. Plus it'll make you look like a pro in the kitchen, even if that sort of this is best left to your other half.
With no added refined sugar in the cake and optional agave syrup in the drizzle, you'll also feel great about having such a healthy treat!
For the cake:
- 2 ripe or very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs (or flaxseed eggs if vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 cup oat or oatmeal
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup of nut milk or milk
- small punnet of blueberries
For the drizzle:
- 150ml of coconut cream (this can be bought, or put a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge for a couple of days and use the separated cream from the top, the water at the bottom can be used in smoothies or above instead of nut milk or milk)
- 2-3 tbsp agave syrup
- Grease well a small loaf tin and pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mash the bananas in a big mixing bowl and add the egg and vanilla essence (if using) and mix it into a lovely gloopy paste;
- Add the oat/oatmeal, ground almonds and baking powder;
- The mixture should be a little runny and be able to pour slowly into the tin, so add the nut milk/milk gradually to achieve that;
- Pour mixture into tin, sprinkle the blueberries on the top, pushing down slightly so they are nestled in the cake mixture;
- Place in the oven for 20-25minutes;
- For the drizzle, in a small bowl mix the coconut cream with the agave syrup to taste, place in the fridge until needed;
- Once the cake is ready, leave a little to cool, then remove with spatula carefully as it may be crumblier than other cakes. Cool on a wire rack and just before serving spread the drizzle on top
- Ideally served a little warm so the drizzle melts into the cake whilst you're eating...delish!
Time for tea (and cake)?
At &Breathe we believe in Being Your Best You to be at your best for everyone around you. Our retreats and events allow you the selfcare time you deserve and through this Spring, we're sharing ways to #BeYourOptiMUM - what's yours?
Tag #BeYourOptiMUM and tell us!