Cavolo Nero Ceviche
Or massaged greens as we like to call them...I'm not a fan of bitter cavolo nero usually, but this is a great way to get a hit of iron into your diet, plus lots of fibre and of course, you get to sound like a real foodie. The avocado added to the ceviche mix adds a bit of good oil and protein to the mix too, so it's a much more nutritionally balanced dish.
This is a great side dish for roasts or any meat or fish dish, or great with a selection of salads. It also keeps really well so it's good for midweek lunches too!
- one bag cavolo nero leaves, thick stalks removed
- juice of one lemon
- 1-2 pinches of salt
- one ripe avocado
- handful pine nuts
- handful dried raisins or other dried berries (cranberries, golden berries, blueberries etc)
- tear the cavolo nero into small pieces and add to a large salad bowl
- remove the flesh of the avocado (start with half and add more later to taste) and add to the bowl, also add half a lemon's juice, and a pinch of salt. Again you can add more lemon and salt later if needed.
- massage the avocado, lemon and salt into the leaves for 5-10minutes, making sure the leave are all covered and the juices are rubbing in. The leaves will begin to wilt and soften, taking away the bitterness and semi-cooking them (like with ceviche!)
- once you're happy with the texture and taste of the cavolo nero (it should still have some bite to it, we're not looking for mush here), sprinkle over the pine nuts and raisins.
At &Breathe we believe in Being Your Best You to be at your best for everyone around you. Our retreats and events allow you the selfcare time you deserve and through this Spring, we're sharing ways to #BeYourOptiMUM - what's yours?
Tag #BeYourOptiMUM and tell us!